Thrift Books Global LLC
Last Updated: September 12, 2023
- Identifiers (e.g., name, email, telephone number, address, username);
- Sensitive Personal Information (e.g., government identification number; precise geolocation; racial or ethnic origin; religious beliefs; health information; contents messages when we are not the recipient; in some cases, information about a user known to be a child);
- Legally protected information (e.g., race, citizenship, marital status, sex);
- Employment-related information (e.g. current or past employment);
- Non-public educational information, including information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99);
- Biometrics (e.g., DNA, face/voice prints, health data) and audio, electronic, visual, thermal, or olfactory information;
- Commercial information (e.g., products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies);
- Internet or other similar activity (e.g., browsing history; content interactions); or
- Inferences drawn from Personal Information to create a profile about preferences, characteristics, trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, and aptitudes.
Note that Privacy laws sometimes exclude publicly available information, aggregated information (meaning data summaries or reports with Personal Information removed), or anonymized information that cannot be linked back to an individual.
Children's Privacy Online
Some of the books and other media sold by ThriftBooks is designed for children, but the Site and our other online Services are for adults only. We will never knowingly collect Personal Information from a child online without consent from the child’s legal guardian. If we learn we have collected a child’s Personal Information online without legal guardian consent, we will delete it from our systems. Please email email@example.com if you believe we have collected a child’s Personal Information online.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
In the preceding 12 months, ThriftBooks has collected Personal Information in the categories of identifiers, commercial information, internet and similar activity, and inferences you express while using the Services. We collect this information from sources and for purposes described below:
- When you set up a ThriftBooks account, we collect your full name and email address and require you to choose a password (your "Account Information"). We use your Account Information to identify and administer your account, fulfill your orders, and communicate with you about offers, promotions, discounts, and updates. You may opt-out of promotional communications from ThriftBooks, but you cannot opt out of communications that we send you regarding your account.
- When you contact us. If you contact us to request more information about an item, we will collect your email address or phone number or both, so that we can respond to your request.If you provide a testimonial or comment about our Services, we may post it on our Site after giving you written notice. We will remove your testimonial or comment from the Site upon your written request.
- When you participate in a live chat on our Site. If you participate in a live chat on our Site, we collect and record any information, including Personal Information, that you choose to include in your chats with us. Please note that our live chat feature is made possible through our relationship with a third-party service provider, and your chats may be accessible simultaneously and in real-time by that third-party service provider. By initiating or continuing a live chat on the Site, you consent to our third-party service provider accessing your chats. If you do not consent to such access to your chats, you should not initiate or participate in a chat on our Site.
- When you place an order,we collect your name, shipping address, telephone number, and email address (your "Order Information"). This Order Information is necessary for us to use to process your order, to notify you of your order status, and to fulfill your orders. ThriftBooks does not collect, process, or store any payment information. We use a third-party PCI-DSS compliant payment processor to process all payments. Your payment information will not be stored by the payment processor unless you check the box to store this information for future orders.
- 17 When you order from us on a third-party marketplace (for example, Amazon or Ebay), the third-party marketplace will provide to us certain information, including Order Information, that we will use to process your order, to notify you of your order status, and to fulfill your orders. We are not responsible for the terms of or any breach of any agreement between you and any third-party marketplace, and your personal information is subject to their policies and ours.
How ThriftBooks Uses Personal Information
ThriftBooks uses your Personal Information to create your account, communicate with you, process your orders, and provide you with our products and services. Additionally, we may also use your Personal Information to:
- Protect your privacy and the privacy of others;
- Send you marketing and promotional communications;
- Send administrative information and notices to you regarding your account;
- Fulfill and manage orders, returns, refunds, features, and other purchases or requests made by you;
- Administer promotions, offers, or discounts;
- Request feedback and to contact you about your use of the Site;
- Protect our Site from fraud monitoring and prevention;
- Enforce our terms, conditions and policies;
- Comply with a law, regulation, legal process, or order;
- Manage user accounts;
- Respond to data privacy requests;
- If we believe it is necessary, to identify, contact or bring legal action against persons or entities who may be causing injury to you, to ThriftBooks, or to others; or
- Fulfill any other purpose to which you consent.
ThriftBooks will not collect additional categories of Personal Information or use already collected Personal Information for purposes that are materially different, unrelated, or not reasonably necessary or compatible with the original purpose without notice and consent to you as required by law.
To control the data ThriftBooks collects through cookies, click the Cookie Preferences link posted in the footer of our Site. The Cookie Preferences link will activate an interactive sidebar where you can:
- Toggle cookie permissions on and off to permit or prevent the Site from dropping certain categories of cookies to your device.
- Click “View Cookies” to see a current list of cookies used on the Site.
- Select “Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information” to opt-out of ThriftBooks selling Personal Information about you or sharing your Personal Information with third parties for online targeted advertising activities.
You can also control how cookies and related technologies interact with your device by adjusting your device settings. For example, you can change your settings to block pixels and cookies or you can install a third-party plugin to control how cookies interact with your device. If you block cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of the Site or all functionality of our services.
Retention of Personal Information
ThriftBooks retains the Personal Information we collect for the duration necessary to achieve our business goals. More specifically, we retain your Account Information and order history until you delete it or request that we delete it from our systems. Data derived from cookies and other tracking technologies is retained for as little as a few minutes to as much as 24 months depending on the period necessary to achieve our purpose for collection of that data. We securely retain data logs and records of data requests, outcomes, and response and correspondence timelines for at least 24 months as part of our compliance with privacy laws. ThriftBooks reserves the right to retain Personal Information for longer periods if necessary to meet our legal requirements, for example for compliance with commercial or tax retention obligations or to preserve evidence or resolve potential disputes.
Disclosure of Personal Information
ThriftBooks will only disclose your Personal Information to the third parties as described in this section, with your permission, or as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law. In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed all categories of Personal Information we collected to third-party recipients for a business purpose. We may disclose this information to the following recipients:
- Our Service Providers. ThriftBooks uses third-party service providers like our chat service provider (see paragraph 7.3 for details), data hosting companies, analytics services, and payment processors that may have access to your Personal Information to perform their contractual obligations to us. The type of information that we disclose to a service provider will depend on the service that they provide to us. Our service providers are subject to contractual agreements that protect your Personal Information, and we require all service providers to maintain confidentiality standards that are commercially reasonable to ensure the security of your Personal Information.
- Our Live Chat Provider. To enable our live chat, we may transfer certain data to our third-party live chat service provider simultaneously and in real time. Our chat service provider will only use your chat data to facilitate your chat and provide you with support, to provide ThriftBooks with the live chat feature, or for internal operations purposes. By participating in a live chat, you consent to disclosure of your chats, and the data you include in those chats, to our third-party service providers, and you waive any potential eavesdropping or wiretapping claims.
- Our Marketing Service Providers. ThriftBooks works with select marketing service providers to market our Services across platforms. For example, we place pixels on the Site to track and report on your content interactions and to serve you with tailored advertisements when you visit social media and other platforms. We may cross-reference our list of registered customers with marketing service providers that enable you to offer your own custom promo code or discounts to your friends and family. ThriftBooks discloses Personal Information in this manner to achieve our legitimate interest of marketing our Services to new and existing customers. You can opt-out of these disclosures by following the instructions under How to Control Your Personal Information.
- Law Enforcement and Legal Obligations. ThriftBooks may disclose your Personal Information to a government institution that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information. ThriftBooks may also disclose your Personal Information if ThriftBooks has reasonable grounds to believe the Personal Information could be useful in the investigation of unlawful activity. ThriftBooks may also disclose your Personal Information to comply with a subpoena, judgment, or warrant or an order made by a court, person, or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of information, or to comply with court rules regarding the production of records and information. ThriftBooks has no control over, or liability for, those persons' use and disclosure of your Personal Information, and their use and disclosure is not subject to this Policy.
- Aggregated and De-Identified Information. ThriftBooks reserves the right to disclose, use, or sell aggregated or anonymized information about any individuals with third parties for any purpose, without restriction. For example, we will not disclose that you bought a particular item, but we may disclose how many customers in demographic groups bought that certain item.
How to Control Your Personal Information
ThriftBooks has carefully and thoughtfully built in a variety of options for you to control your privacy when using our Services:
- Your Account. You can access, correct, update, or delete your Account Information by logging into your ThriftBooks account and using the lefthand menu on the "My Account" page to make your changes to selections.
- Our Referral Program. ThriftBooks has a refer-a-friend program that allows current ThriftBooks customers to offer promo codes and other promotions to their friends. ThriftBooks customers and their referees can learn more about the referral program's privacy practices and how to exercise their privacy rights.
- Opt-Out of Sharing Personal Information. ThriftBooks sometimes shares Personal Information with third parties to serve you with tailored ads on other platforms. To opt-out of this sharing, disable ThriftBooks advertising cookies via the cookie consent banner on our Site or adjust your device settings to block advertising cookies from your browser. If you need support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opt-Out of the Sale of Personal Information. Our use of advertising cookies on the Site may qualify as a “sale” of Personal Information under certain privacy laws. You may disable ThriftBooks advertising cookies via the Cookie Preferences link in the Site footer or by adjusting your device settings to block advertising cookies from your browser. If you need support, please contact email@example.com.
- Opt-Out of Interest Based Ads: You may limit our use of information collected from or about your mobile device for purposes of serving online behavioral advertising to you by going to your device settings and selecting "Limit Ad Tracking" (for iOS devices) or "Opt-Out of Interest-Based Ads" (for Android devices).
- Marketing Messages. ThriftBooks may use your Account Information to send you emails or other messages about ThriftBooks or other topics we think might interest you. You can change how we communicate with you at any time by updating your update your Communication Preferences on your account. Additionally, each email we send to you will offer links to unsubscribe to future emails. Even if you opt out of marketing emails, we may continue to contact you about your existing orders or your account.
- Device Settings. You can control the data we collect through automated means by adjusting your device settings, such as blocking pixels and cookies or installing a third-party plugin to control how cookies interact with your device.
- Do Not Track. Do Not Track signals are signals sent through a browser informing us that you do not want to be tracked. Currently, our systems do not recognize browser "do-not-track" requests, but you may disable certain tracking via your device settings.
- Block Location Tracking. You can stop all collection of information by an app by uninstalling it. You can also reset your device Ad Id at any time through your device settings, which is designed to allow you to limit the use of information collected about you. You can stop all collection of precise location data through an app by uninstalling the app or withdrawing your consent through your device settings.
Consumer Privacy Requests.
Most of your privacy rights can be exercised by logging into your account and making selections in the lefthand menu on the "My Account" page. However, if you require assistance or would like to express a concern or lodge a complaint, ThriftBooks invites you to Contact Us or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll free 1-888-979-1408. ThriftBooks will honor your request as required by applicable law.
Please be aware that we can only fulfill a privacy request when we have sufficient information to verify that the requester is the person or an authorized representative of the person about whom we have collected Personal Information, and to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to the request. We do not charge a fee to process or respond to a verifiable request unless we have legal grounds to do so. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request. We endeavor to respond to Consumer Privacy Requests in accordance with the requirements of the law applicable to your jurisdiction.
How We Protect Your Data
ThriftBooks has implemented and maintains reasonable and appropriate security measures and practices to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized or illegal access, destruction, loss, misuse, disclosure, or alteration. Our security measures include encryption, access controls, and other technical and physical security measures as appropriate to the volume, scope, and nature of the Personal Data processed and designed to meet our duty of care with respect to your Personal Information. Access to Personal Information is limited to employees and contractors as needed to perform their job functions. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations. We also ensure that our employees, contractors, and agents responsible for handling privacy inquiries are informed of applicable legal requirements, and we restrict access to those who need that information to process it. When you place orders or access your Account Information, we use a secure server. The secure server layer (SSL) encrypts all information you input before it is sent to us. All of the customer data we collect is similarly protected against unauthorized access. That being said, no measures are guaranteed to be 100% secure. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your device and account, including to (1) choose a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess and (2) keep your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Your Privacy Rights
Depending on where you live or are located, you may have certain rights over your Personal Information that we collect and retain. To exercise your rights, you can Contact Us or send us an email to email@example.com or call toll free 1-888-979-1408.
U.S. Privacy Rights. In the United States,
consumer privacy is governed by federal privacy laws covering specific
industries or data uses and state privacy laws providing with general
consumer privacy rights. This section provides informational notices
for state privacy laws applicable to residents of California,
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, Utah, Virginia, and other states that
require companies to inform consumers about their privacy rights and
provide a method to exercise those rights. Residents of states
offering privacy protections (each a "Consumer") may have some or all
of the following rights:
- Right to Correct. You have the right to correct inaccurate Personal Information about you on our systems. To do so, login to your account to update your Personal Information and save your changes. Please contact us if you require assistance.
- Right to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected and retained, with certain exceptions. You can request that we delete your Personal Information by submitting a Delete My Data request through your account. In response, we may permanently delete, deidentify, or aggregate your Personal Information.
- Right to Access. You have the right to request that we provide you with access to specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you over the past 12 months (also called a data portability request). To access your data, login to your account and click View My Data. If you need support, you can Contact Us or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may be prohibited by law from disclosing pieces of Personal Information that would create a substantial, articulable, and unreasonable risk to the security of the information, our business systems, or your account.
- Right to Opt-Out of Sharing. ThriftBooks may share your Personal Information with select marketing service providers to display targeted ads to you or to enable our referral program. Some privacy laws entitle you to opt-out of these disclosures. To opt-out, you can disable ThriftBooks advertising cookies via the cookie consent banner on our Site or adjust your device settings to block advertising cookies from your browser. If you need support, please contact email@example.com.
- Right to Opt-Out of the Sale of Your Personal Information. Some privacy laws entitle consumers to opt-out of the exchange of their Personal Information for compensation. Our use of advertising cookies on the Site, our referral program, and similar programs, may qualify as a “sale” of Personal Information under certain privacy laws. You may disable ThriftBooks advertising cookies via the Cookie Preferences link in the Site footer or by adjusting your device settings to block advertising cookies from your browser. You may choose not to participate in our referral program, and you may adjust your settings for the referral program as described in Section 8.2 above. If you need support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Right to Opt-Out of Profiling. The Services do not use automated processing for profiling purposes. If this changes in the future, we will update this posting to describe our use of profiling and your methods to opt-out.
- Right to Disclosure. You may request that we disclose information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information over the past 12 months, such as: (a) the categories of Personal Information we have collected about you; (b) the categories of sources for the Personal Information we have collected about you; (c) our business purpose for collecting or selling that Personal Information; (d) the categories of third parties with whom we disclose that Personal Information; and (e) if we sold or shared your Personal Information under the CCPA, two separate lists stating: (i) sales or sharing, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and (ii) disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient obtained. Under the CCPA, ThriftBooks is only required to respond to two disclosure requests within a 12-month period.
- Right to Nondiscrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising your privacy rights. Unless permitted by law, we will not: (i) deny you goods or services; (ii) charge you different prices or rates for goods or services; (iii) provide you a different level or quality of goods or services; (iv) retaliate against you as an employee, applicant for employment, or independent contractor for exercising your privacy rights; or (v) suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services, because you exercised a right under applicable privacy laws.
- Right to Disclosure of Marketing Information. California's Shine the Light Act (Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84) entitles California residents to request certain disclosures regarding Personal Information sharing with affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes.
Canada. This section provides supplemental
information in compliance with Canada's Personal Information
Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA"). This section
applies solely to residents of Canada where PIPEDA applies ("Canadian
Consumers"). PIPEDA gives Canadian Consumers specific rights regarding
Personal Information offering details on an identifiable person
without the inclusion of name, title, telephone number, and business
address of an employee of a business or organization. The following
paragraphs describe PIPEDA rights and explain how to exercise those
- Right to accuracy of your Personal Information. We take steps to reasonably ensure that your Personal Information we are using is accurate. In most cases, we rely on you to ensure that your information is current, complete, and accurate. We provide methods for you to correct, update, and delete inaccurate Personal Information in your account, and we will provide you with reasonable assistance to ensure that your Personal Information is accurate in our systems and with our service providers.
- Right to access your Personal Information. Upon written request and identity authentication, we will provide you with your Personal Information under our control, information about the ways in which that information is being used and a description of the individuals and organizations to whom that information has been disclosed. We will make the information available within 30 days or provide written notice where additional time is required to fulfil the request. If limited by law or potential infringement on another's privacy rights, we may not be able to provide access to some or all of the Personal Information you request. If we must refuse an access request, we will notify you in writing, document the reasons for refusal, and outline further steps that are available to you.
European Economic Area and United Kingdom.
This section is provided to comply with the General Data Protection
Regulations ("GDPR") and its counterpart regulation applicable to
residents of the United Kingdom. This section applies solely to
residents of the EEA and the United Kingdom ("Data Subjects"). If
ThriftBooks collects or processes Personal Information of Data
Subjects, we generally do so as a controller. However, if we process
Personal Information for a third-party marketplace, we do so as a
processor. If you are a Data Subject, you have the following rights in
relation to the Personal Information we hold about you:
- Right to access your Personal Information. You can request to access your Personal Information. Upon request, we will provide you with a copy of your Personal Information, along with details about the types of Personal Information we process, why we process it, and any third parties we work with to collect Personal Information on our behalf. We may have one or more legally valid reasons to refuse your request in whole or in part, for example, to protect the rights of other individuals.
- Right to restrict processing of your Personal Information. You can request that we restrict the processing of your Personal Information if: (i) the data is inaccurate; (ii) the processing is unlawful; (iii) we no longer need the Personal Information; or (iv) you exercise your right to object.
- Right to rectify your Personal Information. If you become aware that the Personal Information that we hold about you is incorrect, or if your information changes, please inform us and we will update our records.
- Right to data portability. In some circumstances, we are required to provide your Personal Information to another organization at your request and in a structured, commonly used machine-readable format, so that the other organization can read and use it.
- Right to erasure (a.k.a. the "right to be forgotten"). Upon your request, and in certain circumstances and where we are required to do so by law, we are required to delete or anonymize your Personal Information. This right is not absolute, and we may be entitled to retain and process your Personal Information despite your request. If you make this request, we balance certain legal, contractual, and business interests against your right to request the deletion of your Personal Information.
- Right to object to certain processing of your Personal Information. Upon your request, and in certain circumstances and where we are required to do so by law, we will limit our processing of your Personal Information as you request.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making ("ADM"). ThriftBooks does not use ADM to provide the Services. If this changes in the future, we will update this posting to describe our use of ADM and your options to exercise your right to not be subject to ADM.
- Right to Complain. If you are a resident of the EEA and you believe we are unlawfully processing your Personal Information, you also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. If you are a resident in Switzerland, you have the right to complain to the Swiss data protection authorities.
- U.S. Privacy Rights. In the United States, consumer privacy is governed by federal privacy laws covering specific industries or data uses and state privacy laws providing with general consumer privacy rights. This section provides informational notices for state privacy laws applicable to residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, Utah, Virginia, and other states that require companies to inform consumers about their privacy rights and provide a method to exercise those rights. Residents of states offering privacy protections (each a "Consumer") may have some or all of the following rights:
Consent to Cross-Border Transfers of Personal Information
ThriftBooks is a United States company using technical infrastructure in the United States and other countries. If you visit our Site or use our Services from outside the United States, please be aware that your Personal Information may be transferred to, processed, stored, and used in the United States or other jurisdictions. By allowing us to collect Personal Information about you, you consent to the transfer and processing of your Personal Information as described in this section.
When your information is moved from your home country to another country, the laws and rules that protect your Personal Information in the country to which your information is transferred may be different from those of the country where you live. For example, if your information is in the United States, it may be accessed by government authorities under United States law. You are solely responsible for determining whether your use of the Services complies with applicable laws.
We are committed to transferring Personal Information using a lawful data transfer mechanism. When we transmit data from the EU to the United States or other jurisdictions, we do so pursuant to standard contract clauses approved by the European Commission and employ those security measures required by the country in question to secure the data. However, we do not warrant that our Services are appropriate or authorized for use in any other jurisdictions.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Our Site and certain of our products may contain links to websites owned or operated by third parties. ThriftBooks offers these links as a convenience, but we are not responsible for and have no ability to control the privacy and data collection, use, and disclosure practices of any third party. When you click on links that take you to external websites or platforms, you will be subject to their privacy policies and practices and not ours. You are encouraged to review and understand the privacy policies of such websites or platforms before submitting any information.
ThriftBooks welcomes your questions and comments about privacy. Please feel free to Contact Us or send an email to email@example.com or call toll free at 1-888-979-1408. You can also reach us by mail to Thrift Books Global, LLC, 18300 Cascade Ave S #150, Tukwila, WA 98188.